View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I got my block from machine shop. The pic below shows all the work they did:

The machinist is someone I’ve known for 25 years and has built 3 engines for me in that time. He doesn’t have the bandwidth to build this one (I think he wants to retire at end of year). Anyway, I called up a Pontiac engine builder today that’s within driving distance and now have more questions than answers. The fellow I was talking to was super nice and I’m not posting anything negative, but I am definitely in a bit of a pickle now.

Here are my highlights/questions.
1. Builder will only use my block if he blueprints it himself. He said having it honed w/o a Pontiac torque plate was a waste. He said he would need to bore it to .040 with a torque plate. I was trying to keep it at .030, but am not opposed to going to .040 if that’s the safe bet. He also talked about squaring the bores and having to machine the mains. Way over my head.

2. Heads. He would build my heads with new valves, 7/16 studs, porting, etc. the thing that surprised me was that he would not install hardened seats. Says he never uses them. He would just recommend using an additive in the fuel at each fill-up. Again, I’m not being negative, but I thought installing hardened seats was kind of standard. In fact, for all I know, my heads already have hardened seats.

3. Carb. He was saying that running a q-jet was going to be problematic because of all the ethanol in the fuel. I told him this was a numbers-matching car, so running anything else was a non-starter.

4. Intake. He was saying that a standard Performer was a better option from a driveability perspective than my stock intake. Again, a non-starter (besides, I have a ‘70 intake currently getting the Cliff Ruggle’s modifications by someone who used to work for him).

5. Camshaft. Doesn’t suggest using hydraulic roller cam because they don’t make Pontiac-specific lifters. Also suggested that the required bronze distributor gear could not endure daily-driver use. I’m not looking for every ounce of power, but I thought one of the advantages of a HR cam was that it reduced friction and made up for low zinc levels. My Trans Am gets driven, but certainly not a daily-driver.

6. Stroker crank/rods. I currently have a deposit on a Molnar 4.00” stroker crank (3.00” mains) as well as a set of Molnar Pontiac-length rods (6.625) with BBC journals. He thinks I should just go with a Scat 4.250 stroker because I would be getting a bigger engine w/ more torque for same money. I have an M21 with a 3.73 rear. I’m pretty sure that the torque from a 433 is going to be perfectly adequate. I understand that the bigger engine is going to make more torque, but I’m really not looking for every ounce of power.

My biggest question has to do with boring the block to .040 with a torque plate. That does seem to make sense to me, and I’m not opposed to it, but just wanted to throw this out to the experts. I’m assuming that any builder I wind up going to may tell me same thing.

I know this was a long note and definitely want to hear some thoughts from the experts out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk