View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 11:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Insert punny joke about studs here

Time to get to gettin on removing the axles for stud replacement. Good thing the 9" has a short axle on this side, huh?

Its tight, but I'm feeling pretty lucky about this positioning. I'm even going to move that chain fall bucket to the floor and use as a seat. Bonus!

Last picture of the 1/2" studs before they go away.

Move on over little dog, the mean old dog is movin' in!

5/8 studs overkill? Yup.
More unsprung weight. Yup.
Do I ever have to buy lugnuts for the rear wheels ever again? Nope.

I just love stuff that can be beaten on time and time again and still look this good.

While I call them studs, these 1/2" "studs" are really bolts. Axles had to come out to get these out the easy way....with a 1/2" impact gun.

Easy peasy.

And with the right tool, I can get to installing.

50 ft/lbs of torque on the nylon stop nut on the backside and we're done here.

Final step to completing all of this is to drill out the drum. I know, I know... who else is using a beadlock wheel with drums?? Admittedly, probably not many. As mentioned earlier, I may move to a disk setup, but for now, I need to reassemble the car 100%. My memory is so bad and I see the car so little, I may try driving it with literally, no rear brakes if I don't do this now.

Speaking of the right tool for the job, this one gets a A+. I give you one drum fully clearanced for 5/8 studs.

From here you just need to trust me that I put all the rear brakes back together without needing the service manual. (Does the actuating link go on the pin before or after the return spring?....hmmm). Its before btw, and no I didn't need the book! You know, come to think of it, the last time I fully disassembled a drum brake may have been close to 15 years ago!

Man I'm old.

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread