View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 01:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Its about timing!

Some may look at these pictures and only see a distributor. (or a steel braided line that really should be switched to black)

I see a culmination of dedicated Pontiac guys willing to help each other out.

045s with a new lease on life -

...composite gear....

....and a much better dust cover than before.

Behold the HEI's sexiness -

Locked down in the car, I've got 20 degrees of initial timing and by 3000 RPM, I end up right on the money -

Car starts great, idles great, and revs to kingdom come. Its awesome.

Distributor Guy and I surmise that the distributor took some heat damage when I cooked the bottom end in 2014. (stupid donuts) The shaft was quite worn (.005") shows a lot of wear, as evidenced below, and is ever so slightly out of round. We figure this to have been the root of my timing woes.

Its a good thing I sent up those extra parts. It took a combination of HEIs coming together for this one to exist.

If I told you I've been dealing with this timing problem since Sept, you shouldn't be surprised. As we all know, in an effort to find the best way out of situation, be it practically, financially etc, sometimes you find what you had is still exactly what you need. Big shout out to the folks on FB who helped out and to my kickass Distributor Guy for having the patience to deal with me in getting a tired old HEI back to good.

================================================== ================================================== =========================
Tip#19 - When texting with your distributor guy, don't ask about buying ammo in the same text you're telling him you're coming over to pick up the distributor. It will likely end with a quick phone call asking if you're mad. (.."cuz you sounded mad.")
================================================== ================================================== =========================

And before I forget... Mark @ Mickey Thompson authorized my 'slightly out of balance' tire to be returned with no problem. Here's the thing...their warehouse is empty...as is Summits, Jegs and my local speed shop's who deemed a "Galactic back order" of that tire.

Summit says it'll ship on the 26th, but they also said that about the 17th. Time (get it? Thread about timing? ) will tell.

Rear brakes get figured out on the other side of my sleep. Will post what I find. And rear disks will be here in May....

Who needs nice and pretty, when you can have mean and nasty?
KRE Aluminum headed 463CID 73 LeMans. Used to run 10.6x @ 124.55. 3700lbs
So much for 2020...shootin for 9s in 2021...and in 2022 apparently.....looks like 2023 as well.
>>My 73 Build thread