Thread: white walls
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesq View Post
I have a set of Cooper Cobra RWL's on my 65 LeMans, they don't have the "browning" issue either! They are 3 years old.
James Q
You got lucky. I had an older set of Cooper Cobras and they were fine. The next set I bought, circa 2017, turned brown before I ever drove on them...and that was the least of their problems! Tread separated on one, another blew the sidewall out and they never did balance correctly. VERY bumpy ride at 65mph..I mean, splash water out of a bottle bumpy...blurry rearview mirror bumpy... I'll never buy another set of Coopers and I was a fan of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pershing View Post
The problem is how the radial WSW tires are made. The black rubber underneath the WSW leaches oils and stains the white. Some cleaning can help but it will come back. You can check out other car web sites. It is a huge problem with concours judging of Corvettes for instance. Diamond Back Tires places a barrier between the black and the white to prevent this. I have a set on one of my cars and have perfect bright white WSWs for three years now. I also have not had a problem with any bias-ply WSW tires. right now I have an 8-year old set from from Coker. Perfectly white. But radials WSW tires from Uniroyal and BFG have turned brownish. After too many sets of those, I have learned my lesson: Diamond Back for radial WSW, and Coker for bias-ply WSW.
I've been saying since this started, people who haven't experienced it will say, 'Ajax', 'Bleche White', 'Brillo Pad', etc.... but it's not something ON the tires, it's IN the tires.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 05-06-2021 at 08:03 AM.