View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default It's the little things...

The second to last image posted prior was just after thorough cleaning and a wash/wipe down with lacquer thinner.
I could have left it, as most of the oil cleaned off nicely and the paint held up surprisingly well.
But since it was showing a bit of age I figured WTH re-paint everything.
Besides maybe the fumes will help overcome the back pain

Not wanting to subject the cam/housing to a full disassembly as well as not even considering putting it in the sand box,
I went with paint stripper to remove all the paint layers for a fresh coat.
Taking no chances I mounted the housing on a solid board with a 1/4" rubber sheet as a gasket to prevent anything from getting into the underside.
Over cautious, yea a bit

Another minor detail was the filler tube my original rubber plug was rock hard so I decided it was time to remove and replace.
However a suitable replacement could not be had so I went with a chrome snap in plug and just gave it a once over in the sand box.

The other filler related detail is the correct AC push on breather cap.
The OE caps were black and no one I am aware of offers a black cap short of a once in a blue moon NOS at 100$, NO THANKS!
There is a chrome reproduction cap that will work just fine, so taped, blasted and I'll finish it off in a high temp semi black to mimic the original.

Lots of little things to keep me busy while I wait for the head to return along with some warmer weather, I HOPE!

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-25-2024 at 11:06 AM.