View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 06:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Springs are not your problem. Distributor and carburetor are. You have a lean intake backfire when opening the throttle and probably too much advance. In your videos, you are not revving high enough to enough consider valve float.

I am still running the same Crane springs I installed in in the late 90's. Last rebuild I checked a spring and they were within 5% of new. Your Edelbrock springs have never even been run and you are only revving to around 3,000 RPM in the vid and your back fire occurs off idle.

When you whack the throttle, your carb is gulping air and doesn't have enough fuel to compensate. It pre-ignites and backfires through the carb. If there is any kind of accelerator pump or power valve/piston adjustment on that Edelbrock carb, you need to sort that out.
Important! I noticed valve train noise in the first place. It didn't sound right. You might not be able to hear it in the video but I could hear it. Something is wrong.

The carb; works perfect on another vehicle.

The timing; Tried moving the timing and the backfire out the carb is the same.

The springs; They can go bad for various reasons. We drove the car for 10 years now with the timing chain two teeth off because of how the previous owner installed it. About 10 tanks of gas a year. Plus the single springs on there were set up too far from coil bind. They could have easily gotten hot an annealed, lost their seat pressure.

There's no reason not to change the springs. None.

I would like to move forward with some new springs and would like some help getting just the right ones. Valve springs are one of the most important things in an engine for performance and the ones I have in these heads right now are far from optimum, especially with the new cam.

Thanks for your ideas.

Last edited by TAQuest; 04-19-2019 at 06:58 AM.