View Single Post
Old 07-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciated.
--Update, lots of alligator clips and wires last couple nights! I decided to take time and start isolating each component to find the issue.
I unplugged fan motor and just ran the voltmeter into it to monitor voltage and eliminate a possible sticky fan.
Ran the fan on low a few minutes, up to #2 for same, and to #3. On #3 for a minute and saw the voltage drop to zero on the voltmeter. Let it sit, no action at voltmeter.
Yanked repro relay and ran a jumper across the connector. On #3 and ran for 15 minutes, went through the switch speeds, seems OK. all wires cool, voltage at fan motor connection the whole time. (Gotta be that relay)
Stopped at surplus store on way home, grabbed a 30A generic 12V relay that looks like it should be on a 1986 Pontiac 6000. Hooked this thing into the A/C relay connector (green wire ground, black activator, blue is hot-----nice color picks)
Seems to be working great with the relay installed, power at fan connector, no hot spots, work through the switch, no outage.
Next step is to go for a drive, actually run fan, and engage A/C to see if I can get some runtime.
New fan, NOS 481794 relay and AC harness on the way, but I am thinking new relay may do the trick.
Wow, you sure learn a lot on the electrical system on these things when you are trying to figure out gremlins, the simplicity and straight forward engineering concepts is awesome to follow.
Thanks for tips, will see what happens tonight