View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrelic View Post
But I am more curious to learn if the basic dimensions of the tank are similar year to year and only the filler neck changed. Seems hard to believe no one would have pointed this out over the years. Who knows with an authoritative understanding?
I am far from an expert, but I know that '67-68 tanks are the same across makes (Catalina works with Catalina, Bonneville with Bonneville) and wagon tanks '67-70 are the same. The '69-70 tanks had different venting methods that changed between the year and where the car was ordered ('70 California was different than '69 or '70 49-state).

Does this prevent you from using one in the other? Maybe, maybe not. Why does no one know much about this? Because no one cares about these cars compared to the GTO and Trans Am lines. I only know what cars I've worked on the gas tanks for.

If you can find an Impala or Caprice tank & sending unit, those actually will work and fit, they just won't be 100% correct and the size will be off (19 gallon vs 25 gallon I believe).