View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks everyone

Rocky that was a great article you wrote. You nailed on these cars becoming collectible….. see Bring a Trailer.com for reference.

I wish I still had that 87 GTA, but like most I sold it when I was graduating college to lease a new truck. The guy I sold it to drove it like he was playing the video game outrun with a stack of quarters. He lived in the same apartment complex and it was hard to watch. Those years of Mobil 1, scotch guard on the seats and Meguires yellow wax were long gone.

I am torn on the seats in the car, they are not the nice seats that the GTA’s and Trans Am’s had, but there aren’t bad. The Flow Fit seats would be a nice period correct mod though.

My friend that took the pics (actually my friends son) said it might be his new favorite to drive. He’s 20 and was amazed how well it handled in stock form and how torquey they made the TPI motor feel.

My dad bought a few other third gens when they were trailer park cars but as Ken said, none of them scratched the itch. The 89 Turbo car is amazing, but drives completely different than a TPI car. The 86 Iroc is dark red ( I don’t think it’s the same as flame red metallic) and it’s a Camaro. The 91 TA is a convertible and while cool, just doesn’t drive anywhere near the way this Formula does.

I really couldn’t be happier with the car. I will get the AC fixed and have already replaced most of the missing little plastic interior pieces. I may not even put headers on it. It has manga flow exhaust on it that sounds good. I mean if it’s a 15 second car now is it really with headers and a converter to make it a 14.40 car that my daughters 6 cyl mustang can beat?