View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 11:30 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79firebird_99TA View Post
What is the general rule when it comes to longevity of tires?
The Firebird has been in the shop for the last 3 years and I'm looking to put it back in action this weekend. The tires are Cooper Cobras. I don't see any bulging or dry rotting. They're probably 10 years ago.

Thoughts? Run em?!!
There is no "general rule" here as I'm sure you can see from the responses you're getting. Unless your tires are cracked, sidewalls, treads, just run them. I work in a tire center and have asked our seasoned staff this question. They pretty much tell me what I just said. I have 30+ year Firestone Wide Ovals on my GTO and they look great all around. Some of my club members tell me to replace them but no sir!! The car is hardly driven and kept in an insulated garage. Now my regular driven cars are a different story, and tires get replaced when the tread is worn.

Asking a question like this is like asking everyone what the best oil to use. Answers will be many and all over the place!! If you want to change tires that show little or no wear fine, that is your decision. But really all you're doing is enriching the tire companies!!