View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 11:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1990 F150 trouble only when pulling trailer? I'm at a loss.

I have a 1990 F150 4x4 302, AOD. It is a relatively low mile truck(84,000). I haul with it quite often and I occasionally pull a car trailer with it. In the snow, in the mud, with the box full of engine/trans or heavy cast iron tractor parts it has never given me any trouble. It also didn't ever give me trouble pulling the trailer until recently.

Last fall the transmission went out and I had it rebuilt/reinstalled by a local reputable transmission shop. Since then I have had the same problem twice. Both times when pulling a trailer. The first time the trailer was empty and I traveled about 60 miles. When I pulled into a gas station and rpms came down, the truck started started sputtering and died... very similar to the way it behaved the time I had a catalytic converter go out on my 302 Tbird. At the time I was sure that was my problem. Towed the truck home, replaced the converter, it ran great again so I thought I was golden.

Yesterday I hauled a small tractor and mower and after about 180 miles it did the same thing when I slowed to turn a corner. Luckily, because I was on the road this time, I was able to downshift and accelerate and it came out of it with no more trouble the remaining 15 miles to my destination.

Any ideas?