View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 04:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
1. Without the pull straps, people pull door shut with what? The opening lever? Or yank on the armrest pad, or most likely yank the lower door panel. I have owned a couple std interior cars and the lever and lower door panel gets ruined, the arm rest pad comes off.
2. You can put a larger clip behind the strap, and you can run a longer screw into it and start a pilot hole in the door, and run the screw into the door, that really firms things up.
I have even welded a nut in the door, and used a machine screw and a washer vs a clip.
On later cars with a armrest handle, I weld a nut to door as well to keep the handle from getting broke
Only FWIW - on my doors, there is a VERY sturdy bracket that comes off of the door at a 90* angle like an 'L' and there is a 'cup' on the lower door panel with a pair of machine screws that literally screws down onto the metal L bracket. It makes the 'cup' on the lower door panel by far the sturdiest thing to grab onto to pull the door shut. I have to think that is why GM left the soft strap off of the cars with 'standard' interior??