View Single Post
Old 09-24-2022, 11:53 AM
Boost Engineer

Many years ago I drove a competitors vehicle that was very much like the Lightning truck in that the range was not very much.
This was a light weight car and in the beginning stage of knowledge on electric vehicles. A Very Quiet, Smooth, vehicle.
Like riding on a electric trolley car.

That was my first and only experience with electric vehicles.

So for years the companies looking at electric vehicles worked to improve the battery technology for farther travel distances
between recharges.

The difference is WORK. A gas powered street car gets very good mileage on the road at constant speed even with 4 people
in the vehicle.

Same deal with a electric vehicle carrying 2 people where they need to go.

Kind of like a couple going to a restaurant for a meal. Not very much gas required.

So then you have a retirement party, and you have 30 people at the same restaurant
eating the same food in the same time period. The cash outflow is quite a bit more that comes out of your wallet in the same
time period to pay the bill.

I personally will never pay for a retirement lunch for 30 people again so the cost outlay was a one time deal.

So now we have a guy making a video about pulling a trailer and a old car that actually could FIT ON THE TRAILER.
Apparently the truck had no issues achieving 70 mph except that the gage said the truck was consuming electricity at a higher rate, DOH!

Drag Cars, when in a given mode, consume gas at a much higher rate too, guys, under given conditions.
A Drag Racer should be an expert on knowing how much gas and how many trips to the trailer for more gas in "x number of passes".

So while the Video made me smile, it said 3 things:

A) 99% of the people out there do NOT own a trailer and do not Tow even a light weight vehicle with the vehicle of their choice ANYWHERE.

B) 99% of the people out there want to own a vehicle that gets them (usually 1 or 2 people from point a to point b in a reasonable
amount of time. 70 mph in the truck seems to me to be a higher than average speed for millions of city dwellers. They will
never own a trailer, (see A).

C) Where is most of the pollution in a given country? In Highly Populated areas.
NOT in the farm country in Ohio, Kansas, Missouri, or Iowa.

So the reason for the Electric Vehicles is to reduce the amount of Emissions in highly populated areas, not to make a video on
towing a beautiful old classic car from point a to point b AT 70 MPH to demonstrate that when you put a load on any propulsion
device you use energy (Electric or gas) quicker.

But thanks for posting the video, it demonstrates how little people understand physics and how much they want to be the
STAR OF THE SHOW if even for only a few minutes.

Have a good day.

Tom Vaught, Engineer. (But not a electric vehicle engineer, I love gas engines, but all problems need different solutions
not more videos.)

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 09-24-2022 at 11:58 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post: