View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"I have the 28 spline I pulled out of the 78 for a 30 spline and am going to try an put 30s in it to put in my 97 Chevy truck in place of the "Gov Lok" POS."

Skip, were you out doing "hole shots" with your truck again?

The Eaton locking differentials are excellent......for what they were designed for. There are millions of them in use w/o issue. Even with that said they do NOT like any type of "shock" load and I've seen a good many with busted up governors and other items in them over the years.

A good friend of mines son bought a HD GMC 2500 a couple of years ago, low miles and in mint condition. The boy couldn't wait to go out and have some "fun" with it. He was "whacking" it pretty hard at every stop he came to. The roads were slippery with some wet/icy patches here and there. He'd get one wheel spinning really hard then the locker would engage and "bark" the tire on the better surface. That fun night got expensive pretty quick when he EXPLODED the carrier and it literally fell out of the diff in about 20 pieces! I doubt if one would last more than a couple of dozen runs in a full drag racing application behind a stout Pontiac engine..........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),