View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 02:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Another question .... was seam sealer in areas that did not receive body color primed over? Or was it applied after the primer? Pretty sure I remember areas that were painted body color had the sealer painted over. I've got the first coats of epoxy on the body and I thinking I should do the seam sealing before I apply the last coat of primer. I know the factory seam sealer on my GTO was beige ... and I don't remember seeing any big beige strips of seam sealer.
I think we’re at about the exact same point right now. I should have my seam sealer on late this afternoon. Shot the second coat of SPI Epoxy last night. My existing seam sealer was exactly as you described, kind of a beige color that looks like it might have started out life as a slightly off-white color (the sealer I removed from deeper in the crevices looked closer to white). The epoxy seam sealer I’m using will have to be painted over as it’s a blue-ish color.

I’ve been searching google for images of 1968-9 “survivor” cars looking for answers to the dash/windshield channel questions. At this point I’m guessing that the dash 0° gloss paint terminates at the flat seam where the dash stamped panel meets the top cowl pannel. Either way you’ll never see the transition if it’s within the lower windshield sealing surface I guess. Maybe easier or less critical for me with a black interior as just the gloss % change and not a color change.

My final coat of primer should either be tonight or tomorrow depending on how my coat from last night looks. I’m messing with small amounts of flattener in my epoxy primer trying to tweak things just enough to notice a difference between frame/firewall (originally 30°) and inner fenders, core support, control arms, steering linkage, heater box, and other accessories (originally 60°). Not shooting for concourse by any means… just some differentiation seeing that it’s all in pieces and easy to spray. I keep meaning to put a post up in the “Body” section showing how things are going and stop cluttering up your posts! Sorry about that!