View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 10:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After getting the convertible top motor/pump and cylinders out of my shed and doing a thorough inspection of them, I decided to opt for all-new and bought them from Convertible Service.
I also bought this item from they call their Fluid Master Bleed Tool and wow, it sure made the bleeding process super easy. Zero spillage and makes bench bleeding unnecessary.

After installation and bleeding with a couple of videos going up and down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsECpMboNa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Ha5f0HWQU

Brought in my side glass and inspected them all much closer than I did before I packed them away. Many more scratches than I noticed before and some edge chipping on the driver door glass. Plus I didn't pay attention enough when I removed them to notice that my car didn't have the option for tinted glass. I sure like that for down here in Texas. So I ordered all new tinted side glass from Auto City Classic. While waiting for those I then cleaned and reinspected all the window regulators and ended up ordering new ones for both doors and one of the quarter windows. That all arrived and I'm in the process of installing.

So far, I have all the regulators, the driver door glass and both quarter windows in place. Also the driver side top weatherstrip and temporarily the windshield pillar seal. I've been lining that side up some but a long way to go still. I think this is going to take a lot of time and patience.

I bought a pair of rear speakers and have them installed. It turned out to be a bit more complicated to install them than I thought they would be. I ended up fabricating some plates in order to hold the top well liner tight around the holes (that will need to be cut) in the top well liner when it gets installed. I made them out of 18 gauge sheet metal.

I also realized it was going to be a bear to install nuts on the rear side to mount the speakers. So, I used JB Weld and glued them directly to the speakers. It's still not easy to hold the speaker from the back and get it to line up to be able to install the bolts but I found it near impossible to do without the nuts held in place.

I blasted the plates clean and painted them black and the speakers installed and wired up and tested.

I may install a speaker grill material on the backs of the plates later. I think I will also apply some thin foam sheeting over the other large holes on the panel where the speakers are mounted. I think that may help the sound some.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post: