View Single Post
Old 06-18-2022, 11:16 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by da judge View Post
So my buddy Al recently sold his Hemi car. The Burnt Orange 1970 Charger R/T four-speed car now resides in California. I've included a photo of the car packed into in a trailer for transport. Of course I told Al he had no choice but to unload the heap after the humiliating episode back in 2016 when he failed to overtake my Judge out on the strip (he may have won if he only knew how to drive a stick). I loved to hear his voice become shrill and the blood vessels in his neck bulge out whenever I brought the subject up.

It really is kind of sad to see Al's car go. I graduated in 1981 and Al graduated seven miles away in another small town in 1982. Throughout the 1980s we were both hard-core gearheads. I liked GM while Al was a Mopar man. We both bought our signature muscle cars at around the same time. Al bought his Hemi in the fall of 1987 for $10,000 (he had to sell his wrecked 1970 Superbird to raise the cash). I bought my Judge soon after in February of 1988 for $1,250. His car was a decent 26,000 mile original while mine was a 87,000 mile pile of parts. Neither car had its original engine. We both embarked on restoring our cars. Al ran his car through his father's body shop while I scrambled for shop space to rent. In the early 1990s our cars were done and we began to show them at local events.

How we enjoyed our cars was vastly different. Due to its rarity, low miles and value, Al's Hemi sat in a garage most of the time. Over the past 30 years he barely put on 2,000 miles. While I on the other hand put on close to 35,000 miles and attended two GTOAA national events. These days Al has other Hemi cars and even has a spare 426 Hemi engine sitting in his office. But I think I'm gonna miss the old Charger.
Great story Rich like all those yarns you spin from the old days in Mauston!!!