View Single Post
Old 07-31-2023, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Randy Combs would be the best person to talk to about this, but I can make offer an opinion. I'm a mechanical design engineer, making parts is what I do.

I suspect the way the original bezel is made is that you start with a flat piece of metal that already has the swirl pattern in place. The manufacturer then stamps it to make the holes and offset areas. If you look at the comments on the ad for the restored bezel, the seller makes the comment "The darker area around the cigarette lighter would not be visible with the lighter installed.". I suspect that Randy has a machine set up to make the swirl pattern on a flat surface. The area around the cigarette lighter is not flat, so the machine creating the swirl pattern can't make the pattern in the curved area. But since that area is covered by the plastic ring, you'll never see it.

I've never seen a woodgrain bezel with the woodgrain removed. The bare metal may not have a surface color and finshr that would be conducive to swirl polishing. You also have curved areas where it would be difficult to add swirl polishing.