View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rope shaft bolted directly to the crank just like 326 auto cars.The stick shift stoke cars got a clutch and flywheel up front with a short shaft that was splined to go into the clutch disk and that piece bolted to the rope shaft.The auto car had the TQ converter hanging off the back of the trans axle assm.The SDs as you could see in the pic of mine had the flywheel and starter hanging on the back with the custom made hyd clutch mech.The SD trans axle cars used the clutch to launch and often in the pits as the shift was very violent.I actually got to go for a ride in Jays Corvair.He figured out how to make a differential for the car along with hanging a converter off the back.He even adapted a fan off the back to make the Corvair rear engine air cooled sound.The V12 Jag engine with the twin Buick throttle bodies was another unique deal he did in his own shop.He worked for GM in the early 60s and I believe he owned 4 of the transaxle assm.HMT offered him the Yourtown blue 63 SD tempest mule car for $3000 but Jay already had a 63 tempest with a 421 HO engine in it.Don Keefe did a article of the build up of the alu pontiac engine.I will post the mag and year and month as you might be able to buy one on Ebay.Tom