View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 10:29 PM

The '67 has the cleanest styling of any year GTO in my opinion.

The special wider rocker trim serves to accentuate the 'coke bottle' styling and makes the body appear longer and sleeker.

The seamless tail panel with nothing on it except for the four very simple and tasteful tail light slits, clean, clean, clean!

No emblems other than 'GTO' on the decklid, much cleaner than the '66 that has the tail light housing seams, PONTIAC letter emblems and other busy styling 'clutter' in comparison.

Then of course you get the disc brake option and a much safer dual master cylinder, your choice of Rally I or (making their debut for '67) the all-new Rally II wheels , the beefy race-worthy 3-speed TH400 with His 'n Her shifter replacing the ST-300 2-speed of '66.

The 400 engine is so far superior to the 389, with screw-in studs and pushrod guideplates in the completely-revised better-flowing big-valve 2.11"/1.77" cylinder heads and a much stronger engine block casting. No Tri-Power, but plenty of performance and reliability upgrades to more than make up for it. Ram Air/HO exhaust manifolds made their debut in '67 as well.

Personally I love the old 389 & 421 Tri-Power engines very much and they are truly the only ones I'm interested in these days, but it is what it is.

It's a tough choice and both the '66 and '67 are pretty much equally fine in my eyes, but the slight nod goes to the '67 for me.