View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill86 View Post
I can’t help with the tach, though I’m interested to see the responses because mine sticks occasionally around 1800 rpm, but as far as the clock, the second hands should swap easily. They just pull off/press on. You may also find the electromechanical clock movement just needs lubricated. If the contacts are worn, that’s another story. If you’re not worried about originality they do sell a quartz conversion kit for that clock. I picked one up several years ago and it works well enough although I may have a pice of dirt or something in mine because it does stop occasionally. I just haven’t taken the time to pull everything apart again to look at it.

I’d already bought the conversion though when I took my clock apart and found that the mechanism still worked after being lubricated.
Thanks Brian. In looking at my extra tach, I'm pretty sure this is an original GM tach, and not a reproduction, I just don't know how to tell if it is the correct year or not.

The clock in the tach that is in the car still "works" in that the broken second hand still rotates, but the clock definitely does not keep accurate time. Also, I think I rad in another post that they called this a 'tic-tac' clock because it makes a ticking noise, but I don't think mine does. Is it possible it was already converted?

Also, how much work is it to remove the tach? I'm planning on pulling the engine and going through it, should I wait until I do that, or is this something I can remove and repair/replace relatively easily without disassembling the dash, wheel, steering column, etc.