Thread: Rebuilding 455
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 12:17 AM
Suspended

[QUOTE=West Coast GTO;6350477]Well, this is really getting irritating.

I verified correct wiring order, adjusted the valves, verified cam does not have flat lobes( by the oil all over engine method), ATTEMPTED to set idle mixture on the Quadrajet idle mixture screws( and those didn't respond hardly at all) and sprayed starting fluid around carb, intake manifold at top, etc. with no change.
The good news is that the cam is not flat and the oiling system works very well.
I did note that the #3 exhaust lifter felt soft when setting zero lash and preload.

Mikes reply:

It has been my experience to set the timing Gear at 12 o'clock on both Gears on a Pontiac Engine, this I say I have only read to this particular post # 67 so far.

If you read through my posts, you will see that I have installed a 041 cam, similar to you and when this topic came up with the timing to line up the dots as chevy does or line up the dots at 12 o'clock, I was correct in my research. I find it hard to believe that the People on this forum are very knowledgeable but simply forget this fact, you are out of phase, so go back to the beginning and all will be well, soon someone will explain it better than me. Mikes 2 cents.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 08-06-2022 at 12:44 AM.