Thread: Rebuilding 455
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 06:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont listen to what Mike has posted.

If your timing gears where set up the wrong way in regards to the dots then to get the motor to start without just backfiring. all that needs to be done is to yank the dizzy and spin the rotor around 180 degrees, and your hood to go once you retime the motor.

18 to 20 degrees of initial timing is far too much and will make the carb hard to adjust right for idle conditions.

Here’s something to shoot for in regards to timing, but in your case instead of using 10 degrees of initial I would use 12 and then reduce what the mechanical advance brings in by that same 2 degrees.

Disregard the vacuum advance for now and concentrate on getting the motor to run its best on just the initial and mechanical advance.

I can’t believe your motor even cranks over when it’s hot with 18 degrees of initial!

You should also check that when you bring the motor up to 4500 rpm that whatever total timing you have set up does not continue to increase.

Also if you have a veriable timing light these have been known to be off.
If you have a buddy with a regular one then you should first off before doing anything confirm yours with his!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2438F78-CF4B-4DDA-BF83-53D628071EEC.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	595855