View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentco View Post
YES. I have investigated and/or purchased every repro console on the market (there are actually only two manufacturers, IIRC, that are rebranded through a number of vendors) and every one has exactly the same problem — the shifter plate doesn’t fit by a mile. And it’s not a question of massaging the part to fit, like you almost always have to do with repop parts. There’s simply no way to make it fit without a custom ABS mold to reform the entire shifter hole. It’s nuts. They sell these things for what, $300-400, and they’re completely unusable. I think I bought and returned like three different consoles trying to find one that works.

You have to find an original console and rehab it. Frank’s Pontiac Parts is a good source.

The console you got from Summit is defective, and you shouldn’t have to pay the return shipping. Summit is usually really good about these things, but you might have to make a stink to get them to cover the shipping from Canada.
Do the 4 speed consoles have the problems?

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars