View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
do you have the ac idle increase solenoid on the carb & working? i think ac cars bumped the idle up a bit with the ac on to increase air flow & coolant circulation. just a suggestion to verify.

a 7 blade fan should help quite a bit to increase air flow. & definitely at least try a radiator flush additive &/or back flush the radiator & heater core & add new coolant before taking it out to be disassembled &/or cleaned if its not needed. when adding new coolant consider dropping the anti freeze percentage & add a coolant additive like water wetter or hyper cool.

if this isnt a daily driver in extreme winter temps or is stored in a garage that doesnt get too far below freezing, having higher water % will help cooling, just be sure to verify the mixture & keep it in a safe temp range... 50/50 is good to like -20 or -30 or so, not too many places ever see that cold of a temp.
I do not have the idle solenoid yet but I’m going to order one. Just haven’t yet. The “tests” I’ve done at idle have been with the rpm either set or held by my foot a little higher.

I’ll have to see if I can find a 7 blade fan. I didn’t realize in my short attempt to find one they don’t seem to be readily available unless I wasn’t looking in the right place. Any advice on where to find a fan would be appreciated.

I should look at my receipts I got with the car to see if I can tell when the radiator was purchased. It’s at least 11 years old. Coolants been changed a few times over the years from pulling the motor. The most recent time the motor was out was 2017. I’ve never tried flushing the radiator though. Like I said I’ve never had an ounce of an issue until I added AC into the mix.

I can look into the coolant mixture thing too but my garage is uninsulated and detached to it is quite cold. I’m in NW Ohio so we’re normally not too far into the negative but it does happen. The google shows 6 years ago being -20 for an all time low that year and 2019 was down to -10.

Last edited by bhill86; 09-14-2021 at 01:14 PM.