Thread: Cooking knives
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Our Henckels are over 30years old, I bought them one or two at a time for her as additional anniversary or Christmas gifts in our early years of marriage, Not very romantic but as a second gift, she didn’t mind, We have 3 pairing knives, 2 sizes of Chefs knives ,2sizes of utility knives and many of the rest of a set. The handles on some of them are looking rather beat up now, but the blades are still great.

I bought an easy to use pull through sharpener that Henkel sells so she could keep them sharp, but she forgets. So about once every 2-3 months I sharpen the ones that get a lot of use. and the rest as needed. The serrated edge bread knife and tomato knife are a pain to sharpen, I use a round steel on them (each tooth separately) about once every couple of years.

There is another German brand that are likely just as good and a little cheaper, The best Japanese ones are worth a look too. The big department stores here would have 25% off sales at Christmas and buying sets of two or three can save some money as well.
The other German brand you may be talking about might be Wusthof.

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.