View Single Post
Old 07-20-2022, 02:11 PM
Senior Chief

Well, the kit didn't fit my factory power disc brakes. The backing plate didn't have the proper spacers, or didn't provide for the indent needed to mount flush to the spindle.

The backing plate needed to be filed to fit the Monster calipers that were sent by Scarebird.. I tried to resolve this for two weeks, multiple emails, pictures of the spindle, plate, etc plus the casting #'s of what I had on the car.

Of many replies, a few stood out...

Your mechanic doesn't know how to measure the caliper piston (that turned out to be incorrect).

Six pictures and several emails later...
You either have power disc brake spindles or drum spindles that have been cut down.

Two more emails and more pics of the specific GM casting #'s, pictures of the power disc brake spindle front, back, center and damned near upside down and the reply was:

Our stuff doesn't work with your spindles.

I sent the kit back on my dime. Scarebird receives it and has to file on their own backing plate to make it fit their caliper, ignoring the fact that it wasn't the right plate for the spindle to begin with, and declares that this shouldn't be an issue, and implies that it's not his fault. I dunno, usually when stuff needs to be modified to work, that should be in the instructions...right?

Uh, right....

Then the refund for the wrong parts was minus the shipping because their QC didn't catch the plate filing/fitment issues, and apparently two caliper bolts were missing...my bad on that one.

So, I get a refund minus $48 from $360, plus the return shipping I paid for, two weeks of aggravation, my mechanic's time to try to figure out why all this isn't matching up, and Scarebird's repeated denials of having done anything wrong.

I imagine by the time I pay my mechanic to diagnose the shortcoming of the Scarebird MST caliper and matching plate, I'll probably have lost a little more than what I spent (over $400 I figure)...well, plus ordering a whole new Wildwood disc brake setup that I'll get in four weeks.

The shop put my factory power disc brakes/rotors/etc back on, and I can pickup the car tomorrow.

Not the experience I had hoped for, and certainly not what I paid for. Buyer beware!

Jim