View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 06:51 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikW View Post
I sure will when we get to that step. The turbo mount is o-ring sealed to the turbo drain and has a female 10AN orb thread on the underside. We are weighing our options right now. but there is enough fall to let gravity send them to the front of the oil pan. We originally had them lower but decided against having to use a scavenge pump. Just one more thing to possibly fail. Going to be a tight squeeze.
Did the job for 39 years, so I will mention that turbo drains do not like more than a 15 degree "tip" from True Vertical and always want a downward desent to the oil pan. A good location for the drains is about 1.5" from the pan rail gasket and a drain should never be covered by oil. You always want the drain to exit into air but that "air" can have a baffle between the crank and the drain to keep crank windage from not allowing the oil to drain properly.
The oil from the turbos comes out as a liquid and foam mix.

Tom V.

I would hate for you to mount the turbos, not have a proper drain, have turbo oiling issues, and then have to replace a turbo down the road. Figure out how to make the mounts so that the turbo drains point downward at 90 degrees if possible. Also mounting the turbos with the CHRA fasteners is not nearly as strong as using the turbine housing inlet flange for the support mount. CHRA = Compressor Housing Rotating Assy and the oil drain is the bottom part of that assy.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 04-28-2020 at 06:57 PM.