View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PAV ... here is what I'm looking at now.

After spending some time tramming and adjusting the BP I've got the areas seen in green flat and parallel to each other.

Next I plan on putting the column face up, supported by parallels laid flat under the green notches. That gets the column face parallel to the table and facing up. Then in that position I can remachine the rail mounting surfaces flat and true to each other in the Z axis.

Problem now is that in order to do that I need to get the column aligned perfectly in the X axis so the step that I use to align the rails are parallel. I can't use the sides of the column as they are nowhere close to true in any axis ... if they were I'd just use some 1-2-3 blocks and align with the edge of the table.

I guess I could indicate off one of the steps, since the steps that are there are parallel to each other in the X, but not "flat" in the Z. But if I indicate off the vertical edge of the step the Z error shouldn't matter .... ?

I know I'm using the word "flat" wrong ... the green areas are parallel to each other, and the table.

Hope this makes sense

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Column-1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	604600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Column-2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	604601