View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 12:17 AM
Senior Chief

Default Help! Mechanics!

My daughter has an 07 Pontiac G6 she said the brakes were making a grinding noise. I pulled off the wheel the rotors had some wear & the drivers side was worn the most . I replaced the rotors & pads. & took it for a test drive & it was making a very loud grinding noise.
I figured it was a wheel bearing I put the front on Jack stands and put it in gear & the grinding noise was clearly from the drivers side wheel. I called auto zone the part was around $180.00. I watched about four or five you tube videos on replacing the hub assembly & it didn’t look like to badly a job.
In almost all of the videos after breaking the CV joint/axel from the hub assembly the hub assembly simply came off. However the hub assembly is cast iron & the spindle/axel housing is cast aluminum & they are bonded through corrosion. I used the old rotor bolted on backwards and tried hitting it(old rotor) to break it free. Nothing I saw one guy use an air chisel between the aluminum & iron & break it free. No luck I third heating the iron housing with a torch however I only have a small torch with with map gas or propane. It’s still frozen in place. I see one video the guy used a slide hammer. I can’t believe that is any more affective than hitting the old rotor. I know you guys have some ideas. I’m letting my daughter use my truck tomorrow she has an appointment, but I need to get this hub switched out. Any tricks that I can try? Thanks Mark