View Single Post
Old 08-12-2021, 01:31 AM

Default Turbo build options and questions.

I'm considering building a turbocharged I6 in my '79 Firebird. The T-top it has limits the power to less than 500hp, otherwise the body might permanently deform. Instead of a low boost 350 I think a high boost I6 would be a cool project, plus weigh less and handle a little better. But I have a bunch of questions before I start.

This website has a 'for sale' section for I6 parts. So does OHC6.com. Clifford's Performance has some parts available. What other sources for parts are there, aside from ebay?

Did the Sprint engines come with stronger internals? Should I look for a crank with a specific casting number?

Are the Pontiac and Chevy I6's internals the same from the head gasket down? Would new rods for a Chevy work in a Pontiac? Scat makes forged H-beams.

Do these pistons have similar dimensions to original pistons? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...-020/make/jeep . I would think the pistons would need a sizable dish to run on pump gas. I have 92 octane where I live.

Most Pontiac's C/R was overrated from the factory, what are the actual combustion chamber sizes for the different heads?

I have a TKO 600 conversion kit for a Pontiac V8. Would that bolt right in or is there interference, like the starter? I think I read something somewhere about the starter and fitment issues.

Are the valvetrains pretty durable? Are there know weak points I should be worried about or try to modify?

Was the factory redline for the 230 6500rpm initially? I read that they lowered it for the 250 because of QC inconsistencies from the factory. How high could a carefully assembled valvetrain rev to? What would be its main limiting factor?

I know that's a lot of question but I really want to know what I'm getting into before I start.

"And the one thing you can say about Capitalism is that, although it produces inequality-which it absolutely does-it also produces wealth, and all the other systems DON’T. They just produce inequality." Dr. Jordan Peterson