View Single Post
Old 01-11-2024, 05:41 AM

Default New build, dumb PCV mistake?

After some years of mainly waiting on parts to materialize, my project has finally barked to life. No miles yet, but it idles fine and revs like it has an outstanding warrant. 400/467 stroker, 9.7:1, 041 cam, pretty much a fuel injected Jim Hand clone.

I'm almost sure we made a mistake by installing a sheetmetal valley pan. When I bought all the hard parts years ago, I was leaning towards a roller cam and the Tomohawk valley pan didn't exist yet, so the unbaffled valley cover was the only solution I was aware of. Now I realize it's likely going to suck a ton of oil, foul up the O2 sensor and spark plugs, and generally not work for my combo.

Would you take everything apart and swap a Tomohawk pan in, or hack up a catch can solution? Not totally opposed to a vacuum pump situation, but it seems like overkill for a hot street car and I'm not sure how feasible it is while retaining power steering and A/C in an already cramped F-body.

Any help or advise is welcome. Bonus points if you can confirm or deny that the (well respected) builder is crazy for recommending straight 30wt oil.