View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SB3

As mentioned before, it ain't near as big as I'd like. So, to conserve the floor area, I'm building lots of shelves along the East & West walls.

Used 14" zip ties to hold the 2x3's against the wall studs. Can use screws, if the zip ties don't hold up well. But, since most all the pressure is downward, I don't foresee a problem.

Bought some cheap shelf brackets off Ebay. They're not real good quality, but will be adequate. Only problem was that they shorted me by 1 bracket. I was not a happy camper. How much intelligence does it take to count to 48. But, instead of raisin a ruckus, I just bought one from the local builders supply, for twice the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331790250654

I'm using scrap lumber, and some cheap cull lumber I bought from our local lumber yard, a few years back. It won't look great. But, after the wood is mostly covered with parts & stuff, who cares how the wood looks. All it has to do is hold up the stuff I put on it.

Also put up 4 pegboards, 2 in each South corner. Actually, 2 of 'em are a 4x8 sheet of real pegboard, cut in half. The other 2 are made from an old sheet of plywood I had.

I remember how that I didn't like the commercial metal "pegs", that would often come out with whatever you tried to pull off 'em. So, I'm makin my "pegs" out of all-thread & drywall screws.

In my other shops, I never got around to hangin my tools where I could actually find 'em quick, or sorting & arranging my bolts/nuts/screws/washers where I could find what I needed quickly. Just threw most of the tools in the box, and dug around for bolts/nuts/screws/washers, wasting LOTS of time.

But hey, back then I was busy working a job during the weekdays, and racing on the weekends. So, I just never did much organizing. But now I have plenty of time to sort & organize. So, I'll just have to enjoy that, and do most of my racing on the keyboard. Yep, I'm one of those "keyboard racers" which the active racers love to bash, online.

But hey, maybe some of you guys who do that should think about it, before you do it. Some of us are keyboard racers because our life circumstances won't allow us to race.

I read about the class racers who go from race to race in their big expensive motorhomes, pulling their fully equipped enclosed trailers, with their high dollar class car inside. I think I could enjoy me some of that ! But that takes BIG bucks. So, I'll just do what I can, for as long as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelves 1 .jpg
Views:	86
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	483234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelves 2 .jpg
Views:	88
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	483235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelves 3 .jpg
Views:	85
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	483236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelves 4 .jpg
Views:	83
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	483237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelves 5  .jpg
Views:	83
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	483238  

Last edited by ponyakr; 05-17-2018 at 08:36 PM.