View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
The gap between the top of the shroud and the fan on my 72 decreased once I got the motor mount spacer plates installed.

Carmine, how close is your center steering link to your oil pan? Mine was rubbing. Now it is not since I installed the plate. My fan is now more centered in the shroud opening. Apparently these A-bodies have issues with sagging engine crossmembers.
I miss Squidward... he had a lot of helpful posts...

I just installed a new radiator and find the clearance between fan and shroud is barely enough to avoid contact. I could probably lengthen the mounting slots and gain a little by pulling the bottom of the shroud down but I'm wondering:

- how to tell if the motor mounts are causing the droop?
- what are the "spacer plates" Squidward described?
- assuming the mounts are the problem, how hard are they to replace?

Here's the mess (without the pump pulley):

Does the shroud look like the right one for my 70 LeMans?

I did replace the transmission mount many years ago so perhaps that's too high as b-man describes in this thread:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...errerid=160974

I also replaced the support (with the shroud) back then and think I got the mounts correct but I'm capable of messing that up. Do the rubber cushions mount between frame and support like I have:

And finally, the front bumper is off. Any chance that's enough weight to improve the clearance?

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230314_181749.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	608875