View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
One thing to consider before going to 17" wheels is that these cars were not designed for low profile tires. The high level of body flex in 60's cars and the hard ride of low profile rubber can be an issue, road conditions where you live can make or break the decision.

5on5 rally wheels II are hard to find because they were never popular on big cars to begin with but when they do pop up they aren't necessarily expensive, especially if they appear on Craigslist etc.

One of my Bonneville's has it's factory wheels and I was able to scare up some for my 4 door bonnie, took a while but not expensive, trim rings were also hard to find but eventually put together 5 rims and 4 nice trim rings.

First pic is my ragtop with its factory installed 15x6's

Second pic is the set I put together on my 4 door, trim rings are 69 correct, rims are, if my memory serves correctly, 1971-2 big car wheels 15x6 also but a touch less backspace resulting in a smidge of gap where the trim ring meets the inner wheel. Not noticeable unless you are studying them.

Both cars run Maaxis 235/70's, nice riding and looking tires. My Catalinas run the same sized Hankook's, they are half the price, ride nearly as nice but they don't have as much road contact (tread) width.
Hey North! What series Hankook's are you running? I need to replace the 235/75R15's on my '71 Bonneville and looking for a nice whitewall that is on the narrow side like the old Michelins on it now.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71 Bonneville Driver Side.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	580366