View Single Post
Old 03-02-2023, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These prints are being created using a 0.2mm layer height, so layers in the "cake" about .008" .. which is considered a "standard" layer height, meaning not too coarse, not too fine. So the "steps" will be .008" in height. A 1/4" tall print would require about 32 layers.

This setting is kind of a compromise between quality and print time. The next finer steps are 0.16mm (.006"), and 0.12mm (.004"). If this part was such that these corners were visible it would probably be best to print it at one of the finer settings. That can come with it's own set of issues (solvable) along with a print time 1.5 - 2 times longer. Not a HUGE deal because it's not like you have to sit there and operate the machine, it just does it's thing. But in general the longer the print time, the more opportunity for something to go wrong.

I haven't yet printed anything at the higher resolution settings, probably should try it sometime. I usually print with PETG for it's strength and UV resistance ... but a side effect is that it's not as friendly to the finer layers. Tons of variable with this process. You can almost always make it work, but it can sometimes take half a dozen failed prints to find the sweet spot.

This whole project has been a great learning experience to find out what the machines are capable of, and I've been quite surprised what they can do, and more than anything else how durable the parts are. Last night I needed some tiny parts for something I was working on ... kind of a push pin with a barb on it, about half the size of a bulletin board push pin ... it did a great job of printing them. I thought for sure they would fail.

Eric (Larson) ... package is on the way, just picked up.

Last edited by dataway; 03-02-2023 at 04:28 PM.