View Single Post
Old 04-11-2021, 02:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemans462 View Post
I have a GM stock HEI with an MSD rev limiter module (the one that replaces the stock module). This thing failed me tonight (had to tow car home) and I have also had problems in the past with GM and aftermarket HEI modules.

One of the guys I know from the dragstrip said to get a MSD 6AL and run it with the HEI with the stock coil. What are thoughts on this setup? I also read the older non-digital version is preferred vs the newer version. Is this true?

I'm not doing this for nor expecting any change in performance and pretty much going for better reliability. Is it worth the $ or should I go back to a stock GM module with a couple extras in the glove box and no rev limiter? I really like having a rev limiter especially when I make the bad decision to put the radials on the rear. The tach gets pegged QUICK!
I have always setup an MSD 6a or 6al (for the 4-speed guys) using an HEI in any modified street engine. The MSD coil works, i just vent the cover. Just make sure to use the required conductor for an MSD. Have had a few stock ones melt prematurely.
Anytime an electrical device fails, it was either hooked up wrong, or was just defective. Doesn't mean the setup won't work together.