View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From someone that did it for a living for over 50 years, leave the transmission in the chassis. Stick or automatic, its faster and easier to just install the engine, its also cheaper because you don't have to change the fluid in the transmission, and clean up the floor when it runs out of the transmission with the front of the engine pointed at the sky, and the old yoke you stuck in the transmission to stop the flood, either falls out, or drags on something dislodging it as you remove both units, been there done that.

There are a litany of things that make it easier, and faster, but I'm sure you'll get opposing opinions on here. Believe me, I have done it both ways, but when you work flat rate, and time is money, you'll soon know which way costs you money.

I'm a quick learner, and before my 20th birthday I knew what was quicker, and easier.

FWIW, any repair manual, be it factory, or otherwise, will give you instructions to only remove the engine, that comes from the people that designed the car.

One hint to make it easier to rejoin the 2 units, is to use either all thread, or cut the heads off of 2, 3/8 inch bolts and use them in the 2 lowest holes on the block. Saw a slot in them with a hack saw so you can use a flat blade screwdriver to remove them after the mating surfaces are together just in case you can't remove them with your fingers. Especially helpful if you're doing it alone.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 10-02-2022 at 08:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: