View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 11:56 AM

Default Little help please- Wiring layout

I'm adding MSD Atomic EFI and MSD 6al to control the timing. I am also adding Dakota Digital gauges. In the future I will probably add Electric fans. After researching, it seems like my 63 amp 10si alternator might not be up to the task. I am thinking I'll upgrade to a 12si (100 amp) alternator.

Since I have the whole front end off, I'd like to re run all of the wiring while I have good access. I think I would also like to add a remote Ford starter solenoid although I could be easily talked out of that.

My stock engine harness has a crimpled splice for the power distribution, and fuse able links for some circuits. I am thinking about eliminating the splice and running everything through a bus/fuse block.

I read that I should have two buses. A "clean" bus for the EFI, ignition on/off, and dash gauges, and a dirty bus for the starter motor, fuel pump, electric fans and headlights.

The Atomic EFI and 6AL power and ground say that they have to be wired directly to the battery. I'll need relays for the fans and headlights, but the fuel pump is optional ( the fuel pump can be directly controlled by the Atomic - supposedly has a built in relay)

I am trying to figure out how to route all of these wires clean and neatly as well as make sure I have the proper circuits fused. Here are my questions:

1. Does the battery need a main fuse? If so, do the leads to the Atomic and 6al also need to be fused?

2. If I run the Atomic and 6AL directly to the battery do I really need a "clean" bus for the dash and ignition on/off? Both the EFI and 6AL need a switched ignition/ run connection. should those go through a relay or fuse?

3. If I eliminate the crimped splice distribution, what wires from the alternator need to be fused?

4. Where is the best places to locate the fuse/relay box and/or distribution buses in the engine bay?