View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you. I'm going to try doing zinc I've been having trouble with the cad plated items I get back forming black spots on them after time and some within a week. I had this happen every now and then but within the past couple of years it has become more and more frequent and the research I've done says it is because my plater's tanks are contaminated with copper, lead, or something? His main business is plating gigantic parts that have to do with offshore drilling mostly so I can't put any pressure on him.

FYI I've never used alcohol when pickling the components I'm going to have plated I asked only because I saw it mentioned in this thread. I've always soaked in muriatic for 15 minutes, then swish around in tap water with a box of baking soda mixed in, then swish around in a second pan of tap water only, and then spray with wd-40 and bag. Before the muriatic I get everything clean by chasing the threads, scraping off any caked on stuff, and then stirring a batch in boiling 50/50 water and something like Crud Cutter, Simple Green, or some such, so it is clean of everything but rust before it goes into the tub of muriatic.

Great thread here.