View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fitment time. After reading up on LS1tech.com about fitting older style trans to LS block I ordered a clutch kit from Pace Performance. This comes with the items shown below:

Not bad for the price, and comes with a Ram clutch setup and LS to Muncie specific bellhousing. Once the kit arrived I could get going on fitment to the subframe. I marked the frame in line with the bellhousing/block interface for reference. Bolted up the bellhousing and trans and lowered into position. Several issues cropped up... imagine that.

First one was this one.

Note the ends of the manifold, then the ends of the Cat assy -
I called Summit and asked about if this was something they knew about - nope. Did some research, realized they sent Corvette manifolds attached to the motor and Camaro cats. Then noticed something weird - in a pic earlier in this thread showing the components of this kit I noticed that the motor has manifolds, and there are a pair of loose ones. I did not open all the boxes and sure enough two held Camaro manifolds. I contacted Summit and explained what happened to close out the issue with them.

But of course this created another issue - the 'vette manifolds cleared the Z bar just fine - the Camaro ones gleefully block any hope of using the stock bar. Arrggh.
So I spent an hour researching hydraulic throwout bearings. Hopefully I can sell the 'vette manifolds and recoup the cost and a bit more.

Of course the water pump had to get into the act too... cheerfully pointing right at the UCA, I will need to dope out a way to clear the UCA.

I am also fabbing up mounts to use the stock 77-81 Pontiac lower motor mounts as the Dirty Dingo mounts supposedly only use the Chevy lowers. Once sorted out will post diagrams and dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z bar issue.jpg
Views:	2744
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	345781   Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump issue.jpg
Views:	1710
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	345782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corvette manifolds.jpg
Views:	1997