View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Certainly possible they are adjusted too tight. That's easy to check of course. You didn't say if this situation just started one day out of nowhere, or if it has gradually gotten worse over time. I have owned 5 sets of 8 lugs on cars from 1962 through 1968 and ALL of them had this condition to some degree except my current 62 Catalina. The liners over decades get corrosion areas between the aluminum drum and the iron liner and dissipate heat at an uneven rate as they heat up. Machining the drums will not cure this as the issue is between the aluminum and the liner. Machining may improve it for a short time. The only real repair is to have the drums relined. Very expensive but nice results. My current 62 Catalina had all the drums relined by J&L machine and they are the best set of 8 lugs I have ever owned. It stops straight and smooth from 80-90 MPH 2 or three times in a row. That's the most stress I have put on them to date.
Backing off the shoe adjustment will keep the drums cooler when not braking but the pedal will be lower. IMO, those are your only real choices.