View Single Post
Old 05-23-2022, 01:52 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I don't think my 68 with AC ever overheated, plenty of 90-degree weather, seldom saw 100+ .. but then sitting on blacktop on any sunny 90-degree day is probably going to mean 100+ degree air temps.

I had all stock cooling system.

I think the number one major reason the OEM systems get a bad rap is because people just refuse to Recore their original 50-year-old radiators because of the expense. The original radiators in a similar condition do a tremendous job. Back in the 60's and 70's not every single Pontiac with AC in the Southwest was overheating or there would have been huge blowback from the customers.

People jump through all kinds of hoops with their OEM cooling systems to make them work better .... except restoring the most important component ... the radiator. Fin counts, tubes, materials etc. is NOT the whole story, the OEM radiator was designed to do the job and work specifically with all the other OEM parts. And they will .... unless of course you have an engine running 100 hp more than stock .. then maybe, maybe not.
Mikes Question:

Did the use of leaded fuel keep the system cooler?

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 05-23-2022 at 02:30 PM.