View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
Incredible job getting that ding out of the pinchweld molding.
If there's one thing I really suck at its trimming carpet. Great job on that too.
Thanks!
I'm not the best at installing carpet either. Definitely hard to not make any mistakes. I made a couple with this too but it's acceptable. One nice thing is that it's pretty forgiving. Once the seats are in the car, it's hard to see anything that isn't perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Wow, fixing that dent is impressive.

How do you hold the trim when you polish? I could see it flying across the room if I tried that...
Thanks! Sometimes I surprise myself by fixing a piece of trim that I thought might be unrestorable before the attempt. I thought I could probably get this one but I was concerned about filing through the piece with all I had to do around that one spot.

You definitely have to have your thinking cap on when polishing trim. Never take your eyes off or ever stop thinking about the angle you need to keep it from grabbing an edge. All of us who have used a polisher have had it grab and throw at one time or another. I've done enough of this not to have it happen much anymore. It is important to wear gloves, face shield and an N95 mask at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yep I usually start out with great dreams of a precision carpet install, as each hour goes by my expectation get lower and lower
Roger, are you going to put the seat rails on top of the carpet, or slice some tabs later?
And I would have been reaching for the credit card if I had a piece of trim like that. BTW, I think I have a full set of 68 front pillar trim for a convertible if needed, not sure if 69 is the same.
A guy on the gtoforum pointed out to me yesterday that the seat rail feet are supposed to go under the carpet. I didn't know that. I guess what I will do go ahead and make the slices before putting the seats in and then glue a small piece of carpet underneath to try and make the holes not show. Are the rear feet supposed to go underneath the carpet too? I'm not as concerned with those. The seats will probably always be as far back as they will go.

Not sure if the '68 pillar trim pieces are the same or not but I'll look into that. Do you polish your own stainless trim?
I think I might start a separate thread about my polishing dilemma with these pieces and see if anyone has seen this and what they did about it.
I've never seen stainless behave this way. There's definitely something different about the compound they are made from.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO

Last edited by roger1; 07-26-2022 at 10:55 AM.