View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 05:24 PM

just did this swap. put a 59 389 in my 55. was pretty easy over all, took a lot of time to locate some of the parts but was a bolt in. first off, its easier to keep the 55 trans, but you will have to grind the weight on the crank. not a big deal but still be cautious as your doing it. really only need to take the edge off the weight. took me a hour or two only because i kept checking the clearance with grease. i used a dial indacator after just to be sure. motor mounts and trans mounts are the same. you can use a 59 right exhaust manifold and it will bot up to the stock exhaust, but you will need to open up the holes on the pipe flange. the 55 manifold flange to pipe is smaller. you will need a 57-58 manifold for the left side to clear the steering box and the crossmember. will also need to open the pipe flange on this side too. the next issue is the radiator. i had a hell of a time . heres why. i used a 59 generator mount and modified it for a alternator. worked out well once i sourced the bracket. this caused a issue with the radiator. it put the belt right smack in the way of the lower hose. i used a aluminum radiator for my car, so i had to have the lower neck cut off and welded on a different angle. i also had to cut a small notch out of the front crossmember to releive the lower hose a but too. not bad but still had to be done. also i used a aluminum offenhauser tri power intake which did not have the embossment for the generator mount on top. so it kinda snowballed but over all wasnt horrible. hope this rant helps a little bit....john