View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm meeting a guy at the GTOAA who I've known for many years. He worked at a Chevrolet dealership body shop for many years, and is currently working on a couple of his own cars. We live several hundred miles apart, so it's not like I can throw the parts in the back of the Suburban and go see him.

He says he thinks he can fix it. If I understood him correctly, he would cut the inner section out from about the center of the hood to the back. He would form an offset flange on the remaining inner section. He would then remove the back section of the hood with a good back half, lay it in, weld the overlap and weld the inner to the outer back half. Then he would take care of any ripples with hammerwork and a minimal amount of putty.

I think that is what I understood. I have a good hood already, but it's not nearly as good as the orange hood. It's pretty solid, but has a couple of small scabs on the top surface. The orange hood is perfect on the front end.

I'm not sure what it would cost. If it works out, I can sell the hood I have set aside for the project. My main worry is having any filler in the buckle area as these hoods are prone to buckle there.