View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwfisher View Post
I know the FB group posts you are referring to and had some back and forth with him trying to determine the issue. I’m glad he was able to make contact with a single person as there were all kinds of ideas being thrown out. It was obvious he has little knowledge of the valve train and from what I saw whoever set it up initially had very little knowledge also. Of note some of the locks were of different Ypres and the locks were set at varied heights making it look like a stud had either pulled up or a cam lobe was wiped or varied length PR’s. Some of the pics appeared to indicate cam lobes had issue. I’m sure he was overwhelmed with all the crazy responses and being oversees / language barrier made it worse. Kudos to you for stepping up to try and sort it for him!!
yeah ive tried to help on a few of his posts over the last few months, i know how it is trying to work on things you dont know much about, im currently trying to restore some vintage home audio amplifiers and its tough being a beginner on the electronics & audio forums, not like automotive forums that everyone offers help & advice, so i try to help on some FB pontiac groups when i see guys like this not getting anywhere or bad advice that can cause problems. he was told to buy these ARP rocker studs by someone that didnt know what size was needed or that normal OEM BBC studs are fine for this situation. he seems like a nice guy & a real pontiac fan, hes got pontiac/firebird signs & banners all over his small garage & talks about how he & his friends all love america so much.

he sent a better vid of it running & while out driving, it sounds pretty good when hes getting on it, shifts through the gears nice with no misfires or other hesitation. hard to tell in the engine vids, but i think i see a couple rockers not moving as much as the others but hard to tell, i mentioned the possibility of bad cam/lifters but he is sure the prev owner used a good shop for the rebuild, he also knows about zddp & uses an additive so hopefully the ticking is just a bad adjustment or sloppy lifters, think he said they were the supplied comp lifters in the cam kit.

will see what happens after the new studs/rockers