View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When working to turbocharge an engine platform designed in 1952-53 vs one designed in 1994-95, there better have been some improvements in the 45 year time span. The biggest improvement IMO, is in the stability of the block structure with the deep skirts and the 6 bolt main cap retention. Second would be the lifter valley area. The head deck is hardly better, still retaining a 10 bolt pattern. ( tiny bit of extra clamp load from the little inboard fasteners) If course the heads breath much better stock. But as the power level and boost really increase, an LS will turn into aluminum cole slaw just as easily as any other engine. I have seen plenty at the race track split in half and barely recognizable as a GM engine vs a Hemi or Ford. It's that "moderate" HP range where the LS really shines, cost wise vs a Pontiac. To make a Pontiac V-8 run reliably at 1000 HP, your going to have to spend some real money on it. With an LS, a trip to the junk yard and a moderate budget, and your there. It hurts me a little to write this, but it's what I see in my classes and at the drag strip. I personally wouldn't run one, but I understand why some people do. The TV shows all use them because they exist to sell parts for their sponsors. Not a lot of plug and play parts for a traditional Pontiac.