View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't say I remember seeing any tempest without fender windsplits. I'd bet my left nut the standard steering wheel is original to the car. No deluxe wheel here. The sunshades are missing, but interestingly only the left bracket is in place. Difficult to say if there were ever screws in the right sunshade bracket holes before. The car has been in the desert for 30+ years -- There is a cigar lighter, but no sign of luggage mat. Looked the car over for signs of repaint. Nothing yet. No sign of side fender spears being removed and filled. Does have an underdash radio bracket in place. PHS on a car like this isn't something I'd normally do, but will for sake of code knowledge.

Will work on getting the rear seat folded up this weekend. It's possible the upholstery there is good enough to see detail. However, I've got lots of parts orders to deal with first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
The Custom Interior Decor Group consists of:

Deluxe Steering Wheel Ring (Sales Code 541)
Safari Luggage Compartment Mat (Sales Code 612)
Right-Hand Sunshade (Sales Code 731)
Cigar Lighter (Sales Code 732)
Custom Interior Appointments
Front Fender Top Ornament, also referred to as the Front Fender Windsplits

The Front Fender Top Ornament (which your car DOES have) was only available as part of a Group option, not available as an individual option. This suggests to me that the CM points to a Group option.

Found a more detailed description of the individual items comprising the Custom Interior Décor Group.

However, this description omits the Front Fender Top Ornament.

You have the standard code 298 Safari interior trim.

According to this listing, the only way to get the Custom Interior Décor Group was with a Custom Interior trim colors. There were (5) available, only (4) for the Safari, perhaps because the standard Safari 298 trim was too similar to the available Grey Custom Trim code 271.

http://oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Pontia...essories-02-03

Since the base Safari trim 298 was all Morrokide, there is the off chance that you COULD get the Custom Interior Décor Group with the 298 trim, so worth checking for all the other items.

Your car seems to lack the Front Fender Ornaments on the side so that would eliminate any of the Exterior Décor Group options.

I still lean toward CM indicating the Custom Interior Décor Group. I believe the 298 trim can be explained even though the brochure says "(With Custom Trim Only)".

Let us know if it does include all of the other Custom Interior Décor Group options listed or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0880.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	364708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0881.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	364709   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0882.jpg
Views:	42