Thread: 76 Bumper Jack
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2023, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg69bird View Post
Here are 2 older pictures of what sellers had listed for 76 bumper jacks. These are older sales and are sold.
Like what I see in the 2nd pic. Might PM Rocky Rotella, he's owned his '76 forever.

One issue you will run across identifying the trapezoidal cross section type bumper jacks is in the 70's there are at least 3 different cross sectional sizes of the jack post. The smallest cross section style, & often the shortest jack post came in Vegas, Monzas, etc. The next bigger size cross sectionally was used in our A-body's & F-body's. The largest crosssection style with typicall 34" or longer jack masts & came out of B series (big cars) up through '76. I prob have two dozen original GM usage bumper jacks from the 70's & am still trying to ID half of them.

The date on the rivet face ended after I believe '72(?) . The round hole in the side of the stamped jack mechanism is a telltale of a '73 & later bumper jack mechanism. The '76-78 original Firebird jack assemblies I've examined had black painted mechanisms. Did some '78's get a jack that the mechanism was corporate blue, I don't know.

There were multiple suppliers for the bumper jacks. It also wasn't uncommon back in the day, for original bumper jacks to get pitched if they didn't work well & replaced with something similar out of a boneyard for $10.